- A rare factory prototypeA very fine and rare exampleA perfect example in a very rare color combinationOne of 559 units builtEx-Works car, one of four factory built Group 5 carsA very fine example with great history
- about us
1963 AC Cobra 289
A very attractive car with great documentation
- A very fine example in attractive color combination
- very well documented car
- "Blue chip" investment and a fixed entry ticket to the best events
A.C. Cars of Thames Ditton in Surrey, England had been producing the Ace since 1954. It was designed by John Tojeiro and featured an independent suspension by transverse leaf springs. The tubular frame body of the vehicle took its styling cues from Ferrari. The original engine used in the Ace was a 1991cc, over-head-cam engine designed by John Weller, the founder of AC, in the 1920s. In 1956, an optional Bristol engine became available. This was a BMW derived, 1971cc six-cylinder engine that was capable of producing 125bhp. With the Bristol engine, the Ace captured many victories on the race tracks around the world. It even won the SCCA Class E championship three years in a row.
In 1959, Bristol ceased its six-cylinder engine production. When Bristol stopped supplying A.C. with the engine, the production of the Ace ceased. Carroll Shelby quickly negotiated a deal where A.C. would supply him with the chassis. Now all Shelby needed was an appropriate engine. In 1961, Ford introduced the 221 cubic-inch small block engine. This was a new lightweight, thin wall-cast, V8 engine that produced 164bhp Shelby approached Ford about the use of the engine for the 2-seat sports car. Ford agrees.
In February of 1962, a 260bhp engine and Borg-Warner four-speed manual gearbox was fitted into the aluminium-bodied Cobras. The AC Shelby Ford Cobra was complete.
In April of 1962, the first Cobra with chassis CSX 2000 was painted yellow and shipped to the New York Auto show where it appeared on the Ford display. The vehicle was an instant success and attracted much attention. Orders came faster than Shelby could build. The prototype CSX 2000 was continuously being repainted for magazine reviews. The purpose was to create an illusion that more Cobras existed.
In 1963 the engine size increased to 289 cubic-inches. Rack-and-pinion steering was added to the vehicle. Two Cobras were entered into the gruelling 24-Hours of Le Mans endurance race. Carroll Shelby himself drove one of the vehicles. Ford had refused to provide an engine so Shelby, with the help of A.C. cars and Ed Hugus, prepare the cars. One of the Cobras managed to capture a seventh place finish, a major accomplishment.
Dan Gurney became the first American driver to win an FIA race in an American car when he won the Bridgehampton 500 kilometer race in September of 1963 while driving a Cobra.
In 1964, the Cobra returned to Le Mans where it finished fourth overall and first in the GT class. Near the end of 1964, the Cobra 427 was unveiled to the press. If featured a new tubular, aluminium body, coil spring chassis, and a 427 cubic-inch, 425 horsepower engine. The car was able to go from zero to 100 mph and back to zero in less than 14 seconds. This combination captured the FIA World Championship for Ford in 1965.
In 1965, Ford discontinued its support of Shelby's racing program and the Cobra 427 production ceased after only 160 vehicles had been produced. AC continued to produce the AC 289 until 1968.
In 1967, the last 427 Cobra was built and in 1968, the last 427 Cobra was sold by Carroll Shelby. Ford had shifted their resources to the new GT40 and modified Mustang programs. In 1966, three GT-40 Mark II's crossed the finish line at Le Mans capturing first, second, and third.
Specific history of this car:
Chassis COB 6036 was built 1964 by AC Cars in RHD specification in vineyard green with black leather interior. It was consigned during November 1964 to Steel Griffiths Co. of London. Its first recorded owner was Stephen Thaine who sold it on to Donald Johnson. In 1978 it was sold by a Mr. Gosheron to Christian Wolff in Germany by which time the car, registered CGY 226B, had been repainted silver and the standard rectangular tail lamps replaced by twin circular lamps. Whilst garaged in Germany in 1983, a friend of Wolff who had been entrusted to look after the Cobra, decided to start the engine. A backfire through the carburettors resulted in the car being consumed in flames which damaged the bodywork as well as the interior. Returned to AC Cars at Brooklands for restoration, it was decided the best course of action was to rebuild the car around a new chassis, retaining as many salvageable parts as possible and repainting it dark green. Thus the car was returned to Germany, its identification continuing unchanged with the German transport authorities, as well as the restoration being recorded by the Shelby American Automobile Club and the AC Owners Club. In 1986, COB6036 was sold to Wolfgang Specht in Germany. It was advertised for sale in 2004 and purchased by Kay Hafner who sold the car, in 2007 through us to the current owner.
The car is today presented in stunning overall condition and will be sold with a comprehensive history file.
- SAAC registry (registry of Shelby cars)
- Trevor Legate
- Shelby Cars